Usual disclaimers: I'm not a doctor, legal professional or financial advisor. This article is for information/education only and reflects my own opinions. It should not be taken as financial, legal or medical advice. Do your own research and never invest anything you cannot afford to lose (including your time).

27 June 2005

Slackware 10.1 GNOME fix

Having decided to use my quiet time to learn more about slackware I have installed version 10.1 on a machine. I've discovered that the network fix works fine with 10.1 so I'm not sure what caused it to look into the 2.2.26 directory instead of 2.2.29 last week.

I did however discover a new problem with 10.1. If you log in as root and enter the window environment (linux cmd: startx) you get a strange error message about a settings daemon and some of the icons don't look right. Luckily I managed to find a fix for this on the web and here it is:

Overview: The gnome desktop in Slackware 10.1 includes a faulty gstreamer plugin which prevents the gnome-settings-daemon from starting correctly. This leaves (at least) the root user with several popup error messages and desktop shortcuts without their correct icons.

Fix: Move the offending plugin out of the way. As root, run the following commands:
cd /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8
mv libgstxine.so libgstxine.soXXX

Now restart X

This works for me so thanks to Aaron who originally posted this fix.

No comments: