Usual disclaimers: I'm not a doctor, legal professional or financial advisor. This article is for information/education only and reflects my own opinions. It should not be taken as financial, legal or medical advice. Do your own research and never invest anything you cannot afford to lose (including your time).

20 December 2013

It's that time of year again

Merry Christmas to our visitors (4k hits yay).

It's that time of year again (for me at least) when you need to be thinking about what critical systems will be left running and unattended over the festive period. In these days of virtualised systems, some of us need only worry about our personal workstations and desktop accessories. If you are looking after your company servers or infra-structure over the festive period then my thoughts and gratitude are with you. We take so much of our digital lifestyle for granted these days (home internet, film streaming services, banking systems, IP telephony etc) and often forget that while most of us may be away from the office, some poor soul may be called out at a moments notice to fix these things.

I consider myself lucky not to be in that situation these days, although it wouldn't be a holiday without at least one person bringing me a broken computer to fix. As for work, I shall be removing the power cable from my machine at 5pm this afternoon and not have to worry about it getting hacked. No doubt the price of this will be lots of updates on January 6th but at least I'm doing my bit to save the planet by turning things off :).

All the best for 2014 from the oblogs crew.