Usual disclaimers: I'm not a doctor, legal professional or financial advisor. This article is for information/education only and reflects my own opinions. It should not be taken as financial, legal or medical advice. Do your own research and never invest anything you cannot afford to lose (including your time).

10 December 2014

Win 8.1 Invisible context menu actions

I'm not sure when I first noticed this, but while using the context menu (right-clicking on a file) I noticed there were some blank options which is not a good sign. Testing them seemed to launch Acrobat so I went looking for the cause.

I found the solution on the Adobe site. It seems this behaviour is the result of having the Google-drive desktop application installed. I suspect it's more likely an issue with having the Adobe suite AND Google-drive installed but since the behaviour seems to affect Acrobat, the Adobe fix is to remove Google-Drive (I wonder if Google's fix is to remove the Adobe suite?).

Anyway I tried it and sure enough the invisible options are now gone. You can still use G-drive by going via the browser so it's not a major loss. I'm sure Google will fix this in a future version (if they haven't already) but for now paranoia levels are back to satisfactory. Incidentally when I logged back into the browser version of G-drive I had some invisible files there and it prompted me to see my 'new look' G-drive. I followed this link and after setting my view back to list-view, everything appeared back to normal.