Usual disclaimers: I'm not a doctor, legal professional or financial advisor. This article is for information/education only and reflects my own opinions. It should not be taken as financial, legal or medical advice. Do your own research and never invest anything you cannot afford to lose (including your time).

5 April 2021

Earn Interest on your FREE Crypto

 

So far in this series of articles, I have covered getting paid in crypto while you browse the web using Brave browser and getting started with Alien Worlds; a free-to-play digital card-game which occasionally pays out random NFT prizes. I've also covered the process of trading in your mined TLM virtual ore for other crypto or actual cash.


Today, let's look at something interesting....

interest !

So yesterday I traded in some of my trillium for WAX tokens as shown in a previous post and then I staked those few tokens  using the 'Staking Rewards' option on the left side of the WAX wallet. Having no prior experience here I opted to hit the 'feeling lazy' button to see what would happen. I logged in again today and from my stake of 3.89940998  wax, I've earned 0.00021538 wax. That's roughly 0.006% overnight.






So this might be a better option for improving your crypto balance instead of staking trillium to planets. After all with more wax you could get better mining tools and increase how much trillium you get per mine. This is a good strategy in itself as it results in fewer clicks to earn more and should help prevent you running into the lack of cpu or net issues.

Be warned at this stage that while staking your wax tokens is made very easy here, there is no option in the cloud wallet to unstake them again. So it was off to YouTube and I found the answer here. Just in-case this video ever vanishes, the process is to visit wax.bloks.io and log in to your wallet. Be sure to spell bloks without the 'c'. Click login (top right) and select WAX cloud wallet from the pop-up. Click on 'Stake CPU/NET' on the left side and you should see the 'unstake' tab in the middle of the screen. Select your account name from the drop-down list and it should show how much you have staked which I would guess is split 50/50 between CPU and NET when you click that 'feeling lazy' button in the wallet..

At this point I should point out that my attempt to unstake my humble 3.899 wax failed with a 'not enough ram' error. I suspect our accounts receive a free nominal amount of resources each day to enable us to take part in the games and if we become hooked then we reach a point where we must pay-in to continue playing or wait for the next resource refresh (next day?). This would suggest that games which have frequent interactions with the system will cost players more than those with only occasional interactions.

From the gamers perspective, I can imagine these resources eventually being a reward for watching adverts which is what typically happens on games from various app-stores. It would be a shame if this happens as delaying gamers getting into their current favourite game by making them watch an advert for another game they have no interest in is detrimental to the whole experience. It would be far better if the current system remains as-is. Surely there are others ways for advertisers to get in on the action (maybe a reward screen when a valuable item is found?)

I've found WAX to be great for low-intensity gaming. It hasn't yet got a good action or mmo title unless I missed it, but I suspect these are likely to appear in time. Being able to earn free crypto while we wait by playing a few mum & dad games is a really good option and will hopefully result in funds being there if/when the teen blockbuster games materialise. As a lifetime gamer though I can't help thinking there are still obstacles which need to be overcome. For me right now, the most important of these is an easy way to swap wax for Enjin coins or any other flavour of the month token without going through systems which look like banking systems. After all, I got started with wax because it seemed simple and there was no request for debit card details but it's the Enjin-backed games that look most similar to games I would play myself.