Usual disclaimers: I'm not a doctor, legal professional or financial advisor. This article is for information/education only and reflects my own opinions. It should not be taken as financial, legal or medical advice. Do your own research and never invest anything you cannot afford to lose (including your time).

30 April 2021

The Grandfather of all Crypto

So far in this series of articles, I have covered getting paid in crypto while you browse the web using Brave browser and getting started with Alien Worlds; a free-to-play digital card-game which occasionally pays out random NFT prizes. I've also covered the process of trading in your mined TLM virtual ore for other crypto or actual cash.


I thought it might be a good idea to provide a quick follow-up on yesterdays exploration of the Cryptotab browser. As I mentioned, the marketing blurb states  'You need to earn at least 0.00001 BTC which is our minimum amount for withdrawing. It won't take long and you can probably reach this amount right on the first day!'


So they didn't qualify whether or not that was based on using their 'Cloud-boost' system or not. I'm still testing my baseline so opted not to use it. Result after 48 hours?



As you can see, about two thirds of the way there. At this point I am certain that I have been running the miner for 48 hours. The hashing value tends to hover around the 4k H/s mark which is in-line with other mining programs I've tried and decided to stop using. I have to say at least Cryptotab appears to be well behaved. It doesn't tie-up every last resource on my PC until it grinds to a halt. It's also nowhere near as fiddly to set-up. I will continue to run it for the next 24 hours to hit the first pay-out level and after that I intend to use it as one of my regular browsers rather than an always-on crypto-miner. I often use different browsers for different purposes anyway (right now I'm blogging in Chrome, playing Alien Worlds in Brave and just letting Cryptotab do its thing).


I am still a little put-off by C/T's insistence of linking to a social media account. If you're a little paranoid about this (just like me) then you could always sign-up to a service you haven't used before. While C/T might be totally legit, it's the multi-level-marketing aspect which makes me feel uncomfortable with sharing my main accounts and social media logins with them. On the other hand, it turns out that the Google account I have used had some numbers in the contacts which I saved with names like 'Scammers'. So if my data is sold on, we can all take solace in the fact that somewhere in the world there could be a group of scammers trying to tele-scam another group of scammers. Mental note; in future I will give them more normal names or nicknames that I make up. I don't know anyone named Phillip so that will be a good one to use. Maybe Roger and Viktor will follow. I might even add my own number and label it 'Wes Tinnyotime'. Should anyone be foolish enough to call and say 'Hi is this Wes Tinnyotime' I can quickly reply 'it sure is' and hang up.Ba-dum schwwwwsh!


Anyway I've gone way off-track again. So it's goodbye from me and goodbye from April. This time next week I will review what crypto was worth chasing this month and whether or not it paid out or was worth the effort.