Usual disclaimers: I'm not a doctor, legal professional or financial advisor. This article is for information/education only and reflects my own opinions. It should not be taken as financial, legal or medical advice. Do your own research and never invest anything you cannot afford to lose (including your time).

6 May 2021

Not-So NiceHash :((

Well I was trying to compare NiceHash O/S with CryptoTab and I thought the signs were good. Over the past couple of days I have mined for approximately 32/48 hours to reach the payout level of 0.00001 BTC. That would have put NiceHash in the lead by about 24 hours however they have shot themselves in the foot metaphorically speaking.


Yes they made it difficult to start with by insisting I use 2-factor authentication to add my bitcoin wallet address. This meant installing a Google authenticator app on my phone (which I never wanted) and turning on 2FA on a Google account which I had to link (which I also didn't want to do as I don't use my gmail address for mining). It also states on the set-up pages for this that there may be a 24 hour delay if you don't already have this authentication system set-up. Not only that but my 0.00001002 balance from the mining screen appears to have shrunk to 0.00000983 by the time it has appeared in my NiceHash wallet.


However the real kick in the teeth is the new minimum required to withdraw from the NiceHash wallet to my own atomic wallet. Yes below you can see the minimum is not 0.00001 but 0.001 or to put in another way, 100 times the amount I just spent 2 days mining. So at the prospect of having to mine for another 3,200 hours to get a pay-out, I'm opting to say so long Not-So-NiceHash; thanks for stealing my fish (electric eels?).



Well if that's how NiceHash want to support miners I'm done! After going through all that additional hassle just to be confronted with this:



Statistically it may have been the faster miner but this is just so shady. So if I might make a suggestion to the 'Nice' people - maybe you could update your earnings estimate page. Here's my suggestion for how it could look.


So I'm calling it - NiceHash are dishonest. They failed to state that mined bitcoin would remain in a custodial wallet until reaching 100 times what appeared to be their minimum payout level. If I had known that in advance, I probably would not have even tried their service. I will put this one down as a learning experience.


Tomorrow is my planned review of the past month of crypto-learning and I realise I have barely scratched the surface. There is just so much stuff out there.


Usual disclaimers apply.