Usual disclaimers: I'm not a doctor, legal professional or financial advisor. This article is for information/education only and reflects my own opinions. It should not be taken as financial, legal or medical advice. Do your own research and never invest anything you cannot afford to lose (including your time).

19 May 2021

With Great Opportunity Comes Great Risk

There is a second chance to get in on buying R-Planet rigs packs this weekend. A total of 108,000 more NFTs will potentially be minted which will see an increase in Aether supply by up to 18,000,000 per hour; that's 432,000,000 per day. 11,250 more people will get the chance to buy a rigs pack and possibly start staking to earn Aether for the first time.


I will be there, wallet-ready because I think the artwork of R-Planet is of the highest quality. Staking cards for passive income is something of a mixed blessing though. For example, I have just sold one of my most-prized NFT's below the market rate and now have the liquidity to buy more at the weekend. My staking power of 150 Aether per hour is gone but I now have the funds to get in on the next set and with 10 minutes of luck on my side will go from 150 Aether/hour to 2,000 Aether/hour as I now have the funds to get two packs with a guarantee of 1k+ staking reward per hour. There's also the risk that I might not get any at all.


Yesterday in his show, Cryptostache told his audience not to buy NFTs based on their staking value as these can and do change. We are seeing this in R-Planet as they have dropped the rewards on common Alien Worlds NFTs and the community seem to expect Koloboks rewards to be nerfed next. Despite this, the Stachio's NFTs can be staked on R-Planet for various reward levels and while he might not consider the stake value to be an important decision many others in the community will take this into consideration. If you're going to spend 200 wax on an NFT and one can be staked for 50 Aether/hour while the other has no staking value, financial common sense says get the one which can be staked and use the returns to eventually buy the other. This is the reason why the secondary market value of a lot of  NFTs on AtomicHub have risen. There's even a tool where you can check how much an NFT can be staked for before you buy it.


I'm sure Stache knows his basic economics as he announced his latest drop near the start of his most recent show knowing full well he had almost twice as many people (about 900) on his white-list as he had NFTs available. There were still people in his theta.tv audience who had no idea there was a white-list. This raises the question of whether he is keeping mint numbers low to fuel demand and maintain staking rewards rather than satisfying the demands of his tribe and over-saturating the supply; a move which could see his NFT stake rewards reduced (which he said should not be a part of your purchasing decision, so he should be dropping about 900 NFTs each drop to satisfy everyone on his white-list). Personally, I think it would be good for him to do this and to arrange with R-Planet for all his NFTs to reduce their staking value. His basic 'Stache-signal' NFT was available on the AtomicHub market place for around 40 wax about a month ago but is now listed for 89 wax. 


An alternative approach may be to look at the AtomicHub market and remove those who are selling his latest NFTs less than 24 hours after launch from his white-list. These are people or bots who took a 57 wax NFT in high demand and are now selling them for 135-200 wax. The only thing worse than tuning in to these shows and instantly being sold to is then being unable to buy except from the secondary market at over double the price.


Anyway I appear to have gone off topic a little so back to R-Planet. Despite the fact there will be a lot more R-Planet rigs in circulation by Sunday, the prices of individual cards remain high. Yet the Aether supply is likely going to the moon next week which means lower rewards for everyone as the value falls. I'm also half-expecting an announcement that all non-RPlanet cards will earn lower rewards. The people behind the project are giving us another chance to buy-in so it seems likely they will plug more of the leaks which see Aether being traded rather than used in-game. This is good news for fans. When I got my first R-Planet rig it was from the secondary market and prices were already starting to pump higher. I had no idea what the staking rewards were but by the time I figured it out, the possibility of obtaining enough Aether to get one of the element NFTs seemed to be out of range.


The question now is will all the packs be taken by bots. It's a risk I'm prepared to take in the hope of owning a few more R-Planet cards. If I fail, there are other NFTs I like which also currently have a staking reward but many are currently trading above true value because of these rewards (in my opinion). Despite the news of the new rigs, it didn't prevent my low-reward rig from selling at around four times what I paid for it. It went quickly too; because the other rigs are still selling for five times that amount. If all goes to plan at the weekend, I will end up with twelve new cards with a reward rate of 2,000 Aether/hour but most importantly of all - 12 new random NFTs of the same artistic calibre. There is no guarantee and I suspect we are just as likely to see bot-owners reselling their new rigs at huge mark-ups.


Well that's all for today. Fingers crossed for the weekend and I might not post again before next week. I have un-staked some CPU to have funds ready for the R-Planet rigs so will be mostly offline until then to keep my CPU usage very low. If the bots get all the packs, well it may go even lower afterwards.